Yields – 12, 4×4 waffles
3 c. whole wheat flour (I use King Authur)
1 ½ t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
3 c. milk
3 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
1 stick of butter (melted)
3 egg whites (whipped to a soft peak)
1 pint fresh blueberries
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites into separate bowls, set aside.
- Combine first five ingredients and whisk to break up any clumps.
- Add milk, egg yolks, vanilla, whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add melted butter while whisking constantly.
- In a metal, glass, or ceramic bowl whip egg whites to a soft peak. *
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray even if using a non-stick waffle iron. This will prevent blueberries from sticking.
A plastic bowl may be coated with an oil residue and prevent egg whites from whipping correctly. Use a stand mixer with whisk attachment, or a hand mixer, whisk attachment if available, or a hand whisk. *